Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: <ve4xt@mb.sympatico.ca>, "'Bill'" <w5vx@hiline.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: "Joe Subich, K4IK" <k4ik@subich.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:19:20 -0500
VE4XT writes:

> Here's another reason why someone might choose fixed elements, price.
>
> I don't mean to disparage the SteppIR, it has a lot going for
> it, but consider that the 4-el SteppIR is $1,745.
>
> The C3E is $735, the C3S is $610.

If you are going to do a comparison, do a fair comparison.

The three element SteppIR with optional fixed six meter element,
which is what is modeled in the performance comparison is $1273.
To your C3E you need to add a WARC 2/2 ($420), EF-606 ($289), a
longer/heavier mast (?) and perhaps a bigger rotor.  One might
chose the alternative with Force12 an XR-5 and EF-606 ... but
that's still $1378 (and Force12 do not publish specifications
or a model to allow independent evaluation of the XR-5).

Apples to apples: SteppIR $1273 -- Force12 $1444+

> If the added performance and frequency agility is not worth
> $1,000, then you may wish to stick with fixed-element designs.

It's always the case that one can make compromises or accept
fewer capabilities in return for a lower cost.  However, not
everyone is willing to settle for a mini-quad or MA-5.

73,

   ... Joe, K4IK