Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?

To: k4ik@subich.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How can a SteppIR Perform So Well?
From: RLVZ@aol.com
Date: Thu, 17 Mar 2005 13:07:45 EST

The "STEPPIR has 3 active elements on each band whereas the C3E  only has 2
active elements on 15 & 20 meters, with 3 elements on 10-m.   So I don't see
where the SteppIR has "half the elements" nor is comparable  "apples to apples"
with a C3E.  I do not favor one antenna over the  other... but since the
SteppIR has more active elements and since each  element uses the full 16' boom
length, whereas most of the C3E elements do  not use the full 18' boom length,
shouldn't one expect the SteppIR to  have better gain than the C3E even if the
SteppIR elements were a fixed length  and not tuneable?

73, Dick- K9OM

The three element SteppIR  is a valid comparison to your C3 ...
the SteppIR has half the elements on a  boom that is two feet
shorter.  Yet the SteppIR outperforms the C3 in  model studies
and range tests using the K7LXC/N0AX protocols.

>  The SteppIR 3 element yagi vs Force 12 C-3E (74' above ground)
>
>                   C-3E           SteppIR         elev.
>    Band         Gain   F/R     Gain     F/R
>     20         12.6   16     13.4     20       13 degrees
>     17          10.3     7     13.8     21   10 degrees
>     15     12.8    17     14.2   21         8 degrees
>   12          9.8     9   14.8     14.5       7  degrees
>     10          13.2    21     15.2     11     7 degrees
>      6       n/a        16.0   20         4 degrees
>
> The  C-3E numbers are Force-12 published specifications and
> confirmed by  modeling with AO.  The SteppIR numbers are from
> modeling in AO/YO  (6 meter values use the optional passive
> elements).

73,

... Joe, K4IK

See:  http://www.mscomputer.com  for "Self Supporting Towers", "Wireless
Weather  Stations", and lot's more.  Call Toll Free, 1-800-333-9041 with any
questions and ask for Sherman,  W2FLA.