Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Restrictions

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Tower Restrictions
From: Bob Nielsen <nielsen@oz.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 08:36:47 -0800
On Wed, Mar 30, 2005 at 08:28:05AM -0700, Joseph W. Morgan wrote:
> To avoid tower restrictions, simply do not purchase a house in a
> subdivision with CC&Rs (covenants, codes, and restrictions) and a HOA
> (Homeowner's Association).  If you do you have no one but yourself to
> blame.

At the very least have the real estate agent get a copy of the CC&Rs and
read them carefully.  Most seem to be "boiler-plate" containing antenna
restrictions, but I've seen some which had no such restrictions.  One
house I bought had CC&Rs which only restricted me from selling liquor
on the premises (not that I was about to in any case).  One ham I know
asked a builder friend if the CC&Rs on his development had any
restrictions.  He actually didn't know!  When he checked and found out
that they did, he said he would change them (not likely to happen in
most cases, however).

Then there is the case of the ham who bought the adjoining (prime
antenna location) property just so he could impose a restriction to
avoid QRM.

73, Bob N7XY