Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Self-Supp. Towers

To: K8fu@aol.com, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Guying Self-Supp. Towers
From: kb9cry@comcast.net (Phil Camera)
Date: Fri, 08 Apr 2005 17:56:55 +0000
I'd heartily suggest you reconsider your plan to guy a self supporting tower.
These towers are designed to not be guyed and guying one may actually create a
falling hazard on its own.  My understanding is that most of these types of
towers are designed to twist in wind loads.  This twisting allows the torque
force to be transmitted into the tower sections and therefore to relieve
itself.  If you prevent such twist by guying the tower, you may actually create
a bad situation.  I'd ask the tower manufacturer for their recommendations.  As
far as the power lines, I'd make sure that the tower/base/all components are
well designed and installed.  Ground the heck out of the tower and cables and
you shouldn't have a concern.  Just my opinion.  Good luck, Phil  KB9CRY