[TowerTalk] mounting large antenna question

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] mounting large antenna question
From: "Gary Stone" <n5pht@simplynet.net>
Date: Sat, 7 May 2005 22:53:49 -0500
Hi,

I am about to assemble and hopefully mount at 80 feet a fairly large
antenna.  It is the Optibeam 17-4 and weighs 212 lbs.  It has heavy
duty 3 inch x 3 inch square boom and it is a little less than 40 feet
long.  The boom has provision for truss but unless I am reading
something wrong the truss will make a connection on the mast itself -
not a separate truss support.  This is perhaps common with beams that
need a boom truss support.  (there is separate truss support for each
of the three larger elements - 40 meters).

I had planned to raise the beam (probably with a crane) and the mast
would already be in the tower.  The crane I can easily get into my land
area could not accomodate hauling up the mast and the antennas
assembled (78 foot tower - RG45 and 22 foot mast - with plans for 8
foot into the tower) because of the restriction of height (87 feet) of
the crane.

So, do you put lots of ropes around the beam at different points to
safely craddle the antenna to mast already on the tower?  Then you have
to connect the truss support once it is lifted to the mast.  Does this
plan sound ok?  Ideas appreciated.

73 de N5PHT, Gary

 <><><>   Gary Stone -  N5PHT    <><><>
            <>  347 CR 1250  <>