Re: [TowerTalk] mounting large antenna question

To: <n5pht@simplynet.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] mounting large antenna question
From: "Bill" <w5vx@hiline.net>
Date: Sun, 8 May 2005 07:09:40 -0500
Gary,

I used to do all my antenna work with a crane.  I used what they called a 45
ton crane. Cost me about $350 for a three hour minimum. My tower was about
90 feet with a mast about 15 feet. At various times I had various antennas
on top including a KLM 15 (36 ft boom) and KLM 10 at the top. None of these
approach the weight you are talking about, though.  They did have trusses.

I haven't seen a picture of your antenna, and I am having difficulty
picturing your description "the truss will make the connection on the mast
itself". If you are talking about a regular boom to mast truss using some
kind of cable or phillystrand (sp?), I would pre-construct the truss, tape
it to the boom near the boom to mast clamp so you can reach it easily when
you install the antenna. (I think this is what Paul, W8AEF, was suggesting).

My crane company always had a metal box, large enough for two guys to
comfortably stand in. They would attach it to the crane cable and take me
and one of my buddies up to the antenna like an elevator. I didn't have to
climb the mast to install the truss. (I don't like climbing towers!) We
installed the antennas the same way.  We lashed the antenna to the box and
rode up with it.  Once there, it was a fairly simple matter to put the
antenna on the mast. I am not sure that this procedure would work with
antenna that heavy. Two guys might not be able to lift and place it.

If the crane operator is worth their salt, all you have to do is attach the
antenna at the midpoint, and the crane operator can lift the antenna and put
the boom to mast clamp exactly where you want it. You can climb up to your
spot and attach the boom to mast clamp. If necessary you can then climb up
high enough to attach the truss. Once I had to stand on the boom of the
antenna but I didn't like that very much. On two occasions I have seen guys
"shinny" up the mast to work on one of these..."it gives me chills!"

Sounds like your gonna have some fun...gud dxing!

Bill, W5VX