Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 stub tops

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 25 stub tops
From: "Blake M." <n4gi@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 12:54:31 -0400
From: "K4SB" <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Sent: Sunday, June 05, 2005 12:08 PM

> Rohn, or someone else also made a top for 25 which was flat on the
> top, and only about 12 or so inches long. Designed to be used with a
> thrust bearing.

One thing to remember about with the little 25G flat top, though, is that
the rotor can only be placed either 1' down from the top or at the next
lower joint.  For a "normal" mast (10-15') this limits your options.

To address this, I made my own "flat top" with the bottom half of a 25G
section.  I cut one of the last (bottom) diagonal cross braces out of a ~4'
section, put a rotor plate beneath the last horizontal brace (near where the
sections join) and one at the top, where it was cut, for a TB3.  I attached
my guy bracket to the top section just below the rotor plate to help dampen
top twist.

My logic was having 4' of a 15' mast inside a tower section (even with a cut
brace) would be better than having 1' of a 15' mast inside the tower with no
cut brace....?

73,
Blake N4GI
> Rohn, or someone else also made a top for 25 which was flat on the
> top, and only about 12 or so inches long. Designed to be used with a
> thrust bearing.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0522-15, 06/05/2005
Tested on: 6/5/2005 12:54:32 PM