Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers (and ? twothrustbeari

To: "JC Smith" <jc-smith@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers (and ? twothrustbearings?)
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 00:15:37 -0400
JC:

     You'll have your hands full trying to get two bearing blocks AND a
rotator AND the attaching shelves all lined up on the tower.  Leave out the
second (middle) bearing assembly and make your life a whole lot easier.
When you have to remove the rotator, jack up the mast a bit with a
come-along and losen the top muffler clamp pair (resting on top of the
bearing*) and slide it down the mast a bit so it now sits atop the bearing
again.  Then attach a second muffler clamp pair to the mast so it rests on
top of the center plate.  Some folks would recommend attaching a couple of
angles pieces to this second set of clamps so the angles butt up against a
tower leg.   This way the mast won't rotate in a heavy wind while the
rotator is out of position for repairs.

     *Don't rely on the bearing's set screw to support any of the dead
weight of the mast/antenna/coax.  This screw just keeps the mast attached to
the collar so the two rotate simultaneously.  I use a pair of back-to-back
(or maybe they're face-to-face?) muffler clamps that sit on top of the to
bearing to support some of the mast and antenna weight.  You can use a
similar assembly to help support the weight of the mast/antennas against the
middle plate while the rotator is missing.  I'd also use this second clamp
assembly, as well as the top clamp set and the rotator itself, to support my
weight if I ever get crazy enough to climb the mast to replace an antenna,
etc.  (Each Trylon plate is rated to support 300# so all three should be
able to support 900# with proper application of muffler clamps.)

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F