Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers
From: K4SB <k4sb@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 04:12:03 +0000
>      Also (and I just thought of this with this posting), I would not feel
> all that comfortable with this heavy mast hanging by a couple of muffler
> clamps above my hands while I'm installing the rotator plate just below it.
> 73 de
> Gene Smar  AD3F
''''''''''

And I cannot emphasize too strongly the necessity of keeping your
hands away from the
center of the plate. I use a come-a-long at that point, and about 8
years ago, I had
a 24' moly mast drop about 1' while my left hand was over the center
hold. Fault was that the come-a-long brake slipped.

Picture this: 42 degrees, light rain, getting dark, and my hand was
pinned. Calls for help did no good. I fortunately finally thought to
check and see if the hook was still in the mast. It was, and I was
able to raise the mast just enough to get my hand out.
If the hook had come loose, and in that weather, I would not have
survived the night.

Surgery on my left hand to repair 2 broken bones. Lasted until 2 AM.
Then 6 weeks of
2 4" pins literally inserted in the back of my hand.

First accident at that time in about 42 years. Come-along-spocket was
worn allowing the brake to slip loose. Threw that thing in the trash.

Always keep your hands out of danger. Believe me! And make sure your
tools are not worn.

73
Ed