Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers

To: "David Robbins K1TTT" <k1ttt@arrl.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers
From: "Gene Smar" <ersmar@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 7 Jun 2005 20:34:19 -0400
Dave:

     You're correct - to a point.  The knot/shackle at the bottom of the CM
(or any other) mast does not have to thread through either/any bearings.
Once past the rotator plate level, the mast is as high as it ever needs to
go with this approach.  That much I'll agree with.

     However, with the Trylon bearing/rotator plates, there is a 2-3/8 inch
hole factory-drilled in the center of each.  One could delay installing this
plate for the rotator until the mast is above that level, but you can't rely
on the plate as a rest spot for the mast - there's a hole in the plate.

     Also (and I just thought of this with this posting), I would not feel
all that comfortable with this heavy mast hanging by a couple of muffler
clamps above my hands while I'm installing the rotator plate just below it.
Especially with the added weight of the full antenna complement attached to
the mast by this time.  At the time of my tower work, I had installed all
three plates (two bearing and one rotator) before we hauled up the mast.
Machts nichts, I suppose.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F