Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers(and ? twothrustbearin

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers(and ? twothrustbearings?)
From: Doug Faunt N6TQS +1-510-655-8604 <faunt@panix.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 12:24:19 -0400 (EDT)
Hi all,
This discussion of thrust bearings (altough you're above my league by a
lot) brings up my question-
What's the best way of getting alignment at the top of a tower?

I have a Glen Martin rooftop tower, with the Glen Martin bearing
mounted on the top.  I initially installed the mast, rotator and
bearing in the top half of the tower on the ground, and then, using a
gin pole, put the whole top half of the 17 foot tower on top of the
already mounted bottom half (I'd assembled the whole thing on the
ground, and then split it into top and bottom halves).  Getting the
TB-25 bearing aligned using the six centeering screws took some time.
Are there hints for making it easier when on the tower?

73, doug

BTW, while I was on a square rigger at sea off Africa, I helped send
the skysail masts up, after we'd left the Southern Ocean.  Consider
doing tower work 100' feet up, with the top of the tower moving 30
feet from the vertical.