Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers(and ? twothrustbearin

To: ersmar@comcast.net
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] installing monster masts in towers(and ? twothrustbearings?)
From: Gary Schafer <garyschafer@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 12:39:33 -0400
Don't kid yourselves into thinking you are "distributing the load" over
two or more thrust bearings. It is almost impossible to do unless the
tower is being compressed as you add antennas.
If you mount the mast in the rotator and add antennas and then add the
top thrust bearing, how is it going to be pre loaded with some of the
weight? Won't happen unless the tower compresses or the mast shrinks.

A true thrust bearing has a tapered bearing like that of the front wheel
bearings on a car. Or it has sizable top and bottom plates if it is ball
bearing. A bearing that is designed for a horizontal shaft is not a
thrust bearing just because you mount it in the vertical position.

The top bearing may be fine for lateral forces but it is going to do
little for downward weight in addition to the rotator support unless the
rotator is clamped after the weight is applied to the top bearing. Then
it will support all the weight and very little will be supported by the
rotator.

73
Gary  k4FMX