Re: [TowerTalk] Copper pipe for ground rods?

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper pipe for ground rods?
From: "Buck - N4PGW" <n4pgw-list1@towncorp.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 02:49:37 -0400
I have heard a lot of pros and cons about hydro-drilling.  I believe that
people who use one over the other will not notice what they have or don't
have until they compare the two.  If you hydro-drill, your ground will
eventually pack back around the pipe.  If you drop a solid rod, you will add
a lot of elbow grease.

If money is an issue, use the copper pipe and the water hose.  If not, then
plan on buying a short piece (about 24") of heavy-gauge steel pipe with
threads and an end cap.  The heavy pipe will make for a rod hammer that is
easy to use.  Just place the ground rod where you want it to go in with the
pipe on top.  Lift the pipe and let go.  It will stay over the ground rod
and the weight will drive the pole into the ground.  If you are feeling
really good, life the pipe and pull it down hard over the rod while holding
onto the pipe.  This could make the job go faster.  Around here, the pipe is
usually able to do the job.  When the pipe gets close to the ground, use a
sledge hammer.