Re: [TowerTalk] Copper pipe for ground rods?

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Copper pipe for ground rods?
From: "Gedas" <w8bya@mchsi.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 09:17:02 -0500
What is interesting to me are all the different opinions on one method vs.
another.  All I can do is add yet another opinion.

I live in NE Indiana where the soil is nothing but solid, hard stinkin clay.
When I was installing my 3 towers the first order of business was installing
3 ground rods for each.  I also wanted to install 3 rods near the QTH
entrance at my metal panel.  First, let me say that I was shocked at how
difficult it was for me to get them into the ground.  Second, I was using a
combination of 1/2" steel rods (copper coated) and a bunch of 10' long 1/2"
and 3/4" copper pipe.  Using the sledge hammer on the copper pipes quickly
resulted in mushroomed ends which had to be cut off with only several feet
being driven into the ground. This, regardless of how careful I was hitting
the rods. The steel rods did better but were stopped about half way down
leaving 4 or more feet out of the ground.

I'm over 6' tall and 250 pounds and am not afraid to work with a
hammer.....let me tell you, I just could not get the rods down. The clay was
so hard and dense it just was not working.  Soon I was trying the hydro
method on some of the 3/4" copper pipes. For my clay it just didn't work. It
did end up making a terrible mess as the countless gallons of water were
just emptied out around the rod at the ground surface.  Remember, this is
clay so all that water stays on the top where is makes a fine mess.  I then
tried to cut the drilling end of the copper pipe at a 45 degree angle and
must have lifted and driven down the pipe (with water flowing) several
hundred times before finally giving up. The driving end under ground will
get mangled up as well sometimes making it nearly impossible to pull back
out.

Next came the heavy steel pipe over the copper pipe with end cap idea.  This
managed to get the pipes down a bit but eventually the ends of the copper
still mushroomed.  If you don't stop and cut off the bad portion it will
become stuck inside the heavy steel pipe and you won't be able to get it
out.  Some of the copper pipes bent right after the steel pipe and once this
happens all you can do is cut it off at ground level and start a new one.  I
even tried to carefully add water to the hole (slop area right around the
rods) every day for over a week thinking I might be able to "soften" up the
ground a little with no difference whatsoever.

The only thing that worked, for me, and several others have mentioned this,
was to use an impact hammer. In my case I was able to borrow a real
industrial electric Jack-Hammer. Without any attachments the opening of the
hammer will let you slide in a 3/4" copper pipe.  Using a step ladder I was
able to drive every rod into the clay in about 15 minutes time. It was very
hard work as the hammer is large and weighs almost 100 pounds.

Sorry for being long-winded but I wanted to share my experience in case
someone is in the same predicament as I was.  I hope this can save someone a
bunch of time and a lot of sore back muscles and frustration.

73,
Gedas, W8BYA

online image gallery at  http://gedas.cc
e-mail address at  w8bya@w8bya.com