Re: [TowerTalk] elevated verticals....radial config.

To: <jimjarvis@ieee.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] elevated verticals....radial config.
From: "W4ZW" <w4zw@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2005 23:00:27 -0400

>For the record, I still like the idea of the "halfwave" vertical...as in
the Cushcraft R7k or R8 design, where it can go on top of a tower, without
the spiderweb of radials.  Neat, clean, decent pattern, reasonable
efficiency.

Jim,

The Cushcraft R7, etc are 3/8 wl verticals, not 1/2 wl.  They work quite
well when elevated, at least in my own experience when comparing them to
yagis and dipoles at comparable heights.  The Yagi is, of course, far
superior as is the dipole, but the CC holds its own, especially on 30M/40M
when compared to the dipole.  I've had them at several different elevations,
one at 240' and 175'  (top of tall apt building in Moscow),  97', and at
70'.  I have one at 40' at my Colorado QTH and it compares favorably with a
delta loop at 70'.  Depending on arrival angles, one or the other is nearly
always the better.  Of course, being at 10,000' elevation helps.

YMMV,

Jon Hamlet, W4ZW

Casey Key Island, FL
"A little piece of paradise in the Gulf of Mexico"