Re: [TowerTalk] folded radials

To: "Dennis O'Connor" <k8do@mailblocks.com>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] folded radials
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 08:24:22 -0400
> Nowhere did I opine that it would meet or exceed an
appropriate radial field...

The theory was tossed out that the plate "collected ground
currents well" or something to that effect.

Plate, screen, SUV, truck, camper, or just a handful of
wires it is the overall space or area it is spread out over
that really matters.

When a counterpoise is small or otherwise inadequate, it is
actually better to not have earth contact. That's been
established over time by many measurements by many people.
It is, unfortunately, largely ignored.

For example when I connected a small radial system of four
resonant radials to an earth ground, FS got noticeably
worse. The same was true with a small counterpoise screen
(maybe ten foot across).

Unless you are over saltwater or something else far beyond
normal soil, connecting a ground system with significant
voltage potential (because of inadequate size) to earth
isn't a good thing.

The breakover point I found was with about 10 or 15 radials.
Much beyond that and earth connection (or being close to
earth) didn't hurt a thing. Less than that and being closer
to earth or connected to earth made FS decrease.

73 Tom