Re: [TowerTalk] Obstruction Lighting

To: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>,"Doug Rehman" <rehman@surveil.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>,"Jim Lux" <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Obstruction Lighting
From: "Tom Rauch" <w8ji@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2005 09:07:58 -0400
Good grief. This is just a ham station.

Do a safe wiring job, and bring the line into a place where
there is an electrical outlet with GFI.

Plug the line up the tower into the GFI outlet. The only
thing that needs inspected is the point up to the GFI
outlet. The rest is your equipment.

We do that (and have done that) many years with work
benches. All they need to do is plug in, and the fire or
electrical inspector has no say over what occurs after the
plug.

By the way, my tower lights are simple outdoor rated 10-2 G
wire attached to a tower leg. The only thing special I do is
I run it from an isolation transformer with heavy insulation
and a grounded shield for lightning mitigation. When I work
on the tower lights I just unplug them from the outlet in my
barn.

73, Tom W8JI