Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier for ROHN SSV. Pad and Pier Foundations

To: <isp@bnjcomp.com>, "towertalk" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Pad and Pier for ROHN SSV. Pad and Pier Foundations
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Jul 2005 08:32:34 -0700
At 07:42 AM 7/9/2005, isp@bnjcomp.com wrote:

>Of couse like everyone else here on this list that puts up thier own tower
>I am trying to save money.  But also trying to stay safe.   The property I
>am putting this on was originally part of a piece of land that was hopeful
>that the city would get a large business to be on.  So for that reason
>they did core samples of the property.  So I am going to try to acquire a
>copy of the results of those core samples to see what they say.   So my
>question is I don't see in Rohn's book a spot for "if XXX sandy conditions
>then modify piers by doing this or that"  or "if XXX compactness with clay
>then modify piers by doing this or that".

Here's a site with links to downloadable references on the general topic
http://www.vulcanhammer.net/download/general_soil_mechanics.php

In particular, this document
http://www.vulcanhammer.net/download/checklist.pdf
is produced by the Federal Highways Administration, and covers what's involved.

For more "textbook" kinds of presentation:here are some potential
references on this (you might be able to find them at a library, possibly
on interlibrary loan)
http://www.josseybass.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047125231X.html
http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-047125231X.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/047125231X?v=glance

--- Realistically, unless your time is truly free, you're better off hiring
an engineer in your area who will know this stuff like the proverbial back
of their hand.