To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 31, Issue 70
From: WarrenWolff@aol.com
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 01:04:57 EDT
Why o'why does learning a few words per minute CW
cause such a threat?

This dumbing down of society is going to kill the hobby  as
well as you can see the effects in society.

My ninth grade students are plain ole super lazy.   If
a homework problem has a fraction in it, they just skip  it.
They are happy if they can get a "D" in my algebra  class.

I run a bit of a survey at the beginning of the year.   Over the
past 12 years, I have surveyed 874 high school  students
in California.   Of these on 310 knew what 8 times 7  was!!
When it comes to 1/3  +  1/3 = ??; the most common  answer
is 2/9, next 2/6 not reduced, then 2/3; and last is 1/3.   The
results are much better in other states.

Someway, we need to figure out how to maintain  some
substance to the hobby.  If one is not willing to learn  some
CW, let them stay away.  I, unfortunately, learned it by  sight
and could do 3.5 WPM.  Learning wtihout sound inserts  many
learning plateaus.  I was stuck at 12.6 WPM for 3  months.
Persistence pays.

Anyway, Good luck to all; 72 Warren; W5KKW; Extra  Class