Re: [TowerTalk] aircraft bearing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aircraft bearing
From: W0UN -- John Brosnahan <shr@swtexas.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 13:52:21 -0500
Lots of questions and little time.  Most ham rotators will take the
vertical load
just fine.  In fact it is hard to have two bearings share this
load.  But you are
correct in that most people mean the horizontal load -- or the THRUST from
the WIND!    ;-)

Here is a quick verbal try at the dual purpose bearing.  Take a block of
UHMW and bolt it to the top plate of your tower.   This stuff is rated at
about 2,000 (to 3,000) psi load, so a one inch thick piece with a 2 inch
mast is good for 4,000 (to 6,000) pounds of side thrust.  Now on top of
this block of UHMW put a SMOOTH sheet of metal like a very large
fender washer.  Something with a two inch hole and four to six inches
in diameter.  Transfer the vertical load of the mast by clamping a pair
of back-to-back muffler clamp saddles together on top of this washer
and the clamps and washer will turn very smoothly on the UHMW.
VERY CHEAP.   Of course you can make something more sophisticated
than back-to-back muffler clamp saddles, but these will work for most
ham loads.

So now the $5 6x6 block of UHMW is supporting both the side and
the vertical loads (no matter what you call them).  You need to bolt
the UHMW to the top plate with more projected area of bolts than
the mast has.  IE, if the mast is 2 in OD then you need a total of
four 1/2 inch bolts or better--so that the psi rating of the bolting system
exceeds the mast.  Or build a cage around the block of UHMW from
angle iron.

I'll reread your note when I get back and see if I missed something.
My wife is trying to get me into the shower so we can leave for a
dinner party.

73--John