Re: [TowerTalk] aircraft bearing

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] aircraft bearing
From: Dino Darling <k6rix@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 11:33:12 -0700 (GMT-07:00)
Hello John,

I had the pleasure of getting a free tour of Alpha by you when I was living in
Colorado.  I will never forget that!

On to bearings...

I've been reading this thread with great interest.  I wasn't getting it at
first.  Sometimes the term, "thrust bearing" gets confused in the tower arena.
"Thrust Bearing", in my vocabulary, means taking on SIDE loads in one
dimension, like a thrust bearing in an engine that prevents the crankshaft from
moving fore and aft, but not responsible for supporting that crankshaft.  When
we speak of tower masts, we take on loads in two dimensions; vertical and side.

So this is how I try to separate the two (your mileage may vary).

  The "bearing" used to take the side loads, I call, a "BUSHING".  I believe
the majority of this thread was dealing with this type of bearing.  Simply,
it's a 1" thick triangle plate, the size of, and bolted to, the top/rotor
plate.  The center of this plate is drilled to accept the 2" mast and prevent
it from touching the tower's metal parts.  We rub the bearing rather than the
metal tower parts.  On the top of a "pointy" Rohn section, I've used a piece of
PVC pipe, the length of the tower tube, as a bushing.  In both examples, they
only provide support in one (side) dimension.

  The "bearing" used to take the vertical loads, I call the THRUST bearing.
It's just like the crankshaft, only flipped up vertical.

(As a side note, it's my feeling that the majority of the bearings (fanfir)
used to support the vertical load of the mast and antennas is used incorrectly.
 They were designed to support horizontal shafts parallel (load) to the flange,
not how we use them.  But, they seem to work OK.  A taper bearing would be a
better option.  IMHO)

What I don't fully understand at this point, is how the UHMW (plastic) sheet is
used to support the vertical load.  I'm assuming you are using 2 sheets.  How
is the second sheet secured to the mast?  If possible, a picture is worth a
thousand words!  :-)

Dino - K6RIX