[TowerTalk] Dealing with Insurance Dweebs

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Dealing with Insurance Dweebs
From: David Vondrasek <n5ito@davidv.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Aug 2005 10:53:44 -0500
Welp here is were I'm at now after talking to an Insurance Adjuster. This
isn't looking all that good as I can see, I had to spend 30 minutes
explaining to him is was not a room full of AM/FM Stereo eqt. and give him
a class is Ham radio operations.

I'm being sent  forms for "Inventory" of what was damaged, On this form I
have to provide the Cost of the items when new and the year, and also the
model and ser #'s.. ,Then this information is put through a Process of them
telling me what a "depreciated" value of the item is and how much I get for
replacement value. If Im lucky I think I might get enough "value" to go buy
a new CB radio!

This is not all new gear.  The FT-990 could be bought back in 1991 for
$1995.00, but try to explain to them it can still be bought now for around
$1000 used when all the INRAD filters and such are installed like this one
even after 14 years.  I will most likely wind up with a single transceiver
instead of separate VHF/UHF & HF rigs because of this after all the numbers
fall.  Because what they offer isn't going to buy a new rig for each now.

So my current task is to play their own game and see what happens, Its a
numbers game. The value is based on the Retail Price for the year and then
depreciated from that. I can play this game too I guess. The FT-990 was
brought out in 1991, but was sold for several years after that, so if I
give the last year of manufacture with the price at that time, I have less
deprecation then if I give 1991. So I need some help from anyone that can
help. I've been searching the Internet for prices and years for items to
get the highest value for the items. Some I can't fine.  If anyone has old
catalogs with MSRP and a date and year and can FAX or email a PDF showing
this, that would be great. I need to get a nice high dollar value to
replace at least most of the gear.  Below is the Inventory of items.. I
need the last year of Manufacture and MSRP.

1.Yeasu FT-990 with All the INRAD filters.

2. Yaesu FT-736R Loaded
        w/6 Meters
        w/FEX-736-220 220mhz module
        w/XF-455MC 600hz CW Filter
        w/CW Keyer Unit
        w/FTS-8 CTCSS Tone Squelch Board
        w/FTS-8 tone encoder / decoder
        w/ Voice Module

3. CDE Ham IV ( Still available @ $559.95)

4 Tempo 2002 2-Mtr 1KW AMP ( Early Henry)

5. Mirage MP2 ( Still available @ $235.00)

6. TE Systems 0510G

Some gear I can't test as I can't put it on line like the SB-220 as I have
no HF radio now. So I'm not  sure if it's dead or now. I'm lucky is wasn't
a direct tower strike, or I don't know how I'd get cost of 4 each Modified
KLM-16LBX modified to 18 LBX .

Dave - N5ITO
Rebuilding after Lightening.