[TowerTalk] US Tower HDX555 Tale of Woe

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] US Tower HDX555 Tale of Woe
From: "Pat Chiles" <chilesp@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Sep 2005 11:46:51 -0400
I have a brand new HDX555 installed Nov. 2004.  I do very little hamming during
the summer months because of a fire that burnt one end of the house from a
lightening strike to an antenna.  A small concession to keep peace in the
house.  I disconnect everything in May and put it back together in September.

I just tried to raise (motorized) the HDX555 to get some SWR readings etc
before some planned maintenance and changes.  Turned on the circuit breakers,
went to the tower, reset the GFI, and then watched the GFI trip everytime I
threw the switch.  The problem was traced to the motor start capacitor.  The
metal hood that covers the capacitor on the motor was totally full of very
rusty water.  This hood has a rubber sealing gasket, but for some reason my
hood has two 1/4 inch holes drilled in it and they on the top of the hood.

I thought these might be drain hole but they are in such a location that even
if the hood was install with the holes down they would not drain it.  It
appears a modification and repair is in my future.

If you own one of these towers you may want to check the capacitor hood.
Pat, K8PC