Re: [TowerTalk] How flexible is standard LMR-400 ??

To: "Keith Dutson" <kdutson@sbcglobal.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How flexible is standard LMR-400 ??
From: "K8RI on Tower talk" <k8ri-tower@charter.net>
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 15:00:52 -0400
I like to make a distinction between bending radius (which can take a set)
and flexing radius (which does not) I believe the minimum bending radius for
LMR 400 is only 1 1/2 inches, not something you'd want to do to a cable on a
regular basis.   First, I do use LMR 400 flex for my rotor loops, but I see
no problem using a 3' or even 2' loop of regular LMR 400. I would use two
turns though.  When the antennas turn the cable just springs back and fourth
with no real bending.   The "flex" cable is a bit of extra insurance and can
be coiled much tighter than the regular LMR 400.  If you don't have a shelf
for the coil of cable I'd not go that way as I'd want it to be supported. It
does need to be protected from wind and its own weight.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com