Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for photo of 30' tower

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Looking for photo of 30' tower
From: "George Skoubis" <george.skoubis@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Oct 2005 22:27:30 -0500
Hi,

  If your primary aesthetic concern is your wife's opinion you may want to
try something that has worked for me...

  I put in a crank-up tower and 3 element SteppIR next to our house on a
city lot.  Here's a link to a picture of the tower and antenna cranked down
to 20 feet (50 foot tower).

  http://www.qsl.net/kf9yr/steppir.html (download is slow)

  When I put the tower up I just put the rotor and mast on when she was home
(and left it cranked down).

  We went to the jewelry store and bought a nice diamond pendant she had
wanted...

  I took a vacation day, put up the SteppIR and cables, cranked up the tower
and played on the radio until she came home from work.

  Her first words were something about that obnoxious antenna...

  I then said thanks for understanding my hobby.

  I've since bought an Orion and another Icom 706 for a mobile rig. I made
sure there was enough money for her to get something she wanted at the same
time.

  If she doesn't like jewelry there's always new furniture, painting, fancy
porcelain knick-knacks, fancy sewing machines, appliances, etc...

  It's not a bribe, it's a "thanks for understanding, I'd like to do
something for you" present.

  The hard part is waiting until you have saved enough money for both
purchases...

  I didn't save your original post so I don't remember if you mentioned your
primary operating interests.

  If you're looking for DX contacts you may be better off with a vertical
antenna since you'll get a lower takeoff angle than a horizontally polarized
antenna at 30 feet.

  I'm sure one of the many guys with lots of modeling/testing experience
will pipe up with the differences.

  If you're mostly a ragchewer or like making domestic contacts a short
tower and horizontal beam will probably fill your needs nicely...

73,

George / KF9YR