To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 34, Issue 54
From: "Dudley Chapman" <chief@thechief.com>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 11:53:39 -0400
>Date: Sun, 9 Oct 2005 20:24:20 -0500
>From: "Dave Vondrasek" <n5ito@davidv.net>
>Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] grounding
>To: <towertalk@contesting.com>

(...)

>Off each side of the bar is #4 stranded copper wire ran to 8" copper ground
>rods spaced 8' apart. One to each side. I plan to place 2 more to each side
>of these 8 more feet.

(...)

Dave,
   One comment on your ground rods.  Everything I have read says that
adjacent ground rods should be no closer than the sum of their lengths.  For
example, your two adjacent 8' ground rods should be 16 feet apart.  If they
are closer, their effectiveness as 2 rods is diminished.  If it's not too
much trouble, I would place one rod right near the post, and two more 16' to
each side.   Naturally, you can extend the copper wire runs and place more
rods at 16' intervals.  The other rule of thumb is that you reach a point of
diminishing returns (due to inductance) for each ground run at about 50'.

Dudley - WA1X