Re: [TowerTalk] EZ-Hang: using a slingshot to place lines in trees

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] EZ-Hang: using a slingshot to place lines in trees
From: "Mark ." <n1lo@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 15:51:14 -0500
Hello TowerTalkers,

I'll throw in a couple of tricks I use. Like others, I bought a more
powerful wrist rocket with folding wrist brace and clamped a large diameter
spinning reel to its frame.

Some sinker/line combinations that have worked well for me:
2oz sinker/20 lb test line
1-3/4oz sinker/15 lb test line

Two limiting factors:
1) Matching the weight of the sinker to the power of the sling. The EZ-hang
has a smallish sling, and you must use a lighter sinker and line for the
highest trees. I have used a friend's EZ-hang with good success up to 60
feet. My own sling will send the 2 oz/20lb test line over an 80 foot tree.
Lighter combos, if oiled (see below) should go higher.

2) Matching the line weight to the sinker and the type of tree (some are
sappy and create a lot of friction) such that the sinker is heavy enough to
pull the #$%^& line back down to you!

One good trick: Oil your line!  This *greatly* reduces the friction and will
help the sinker pull the line back down. Release your reel, and have a
friend walk and pull the line all out straight. Fold up a paper tower in
quarters, and pour in about 1/2 oz of motor oil into the vertex of the fold.
Have your friend clasp the line lightly in the oiled paper towel in front of
your reel while you wind the line back in, oiling the whole length.

One more trick: Do *not* try to retrieve a bad shot with the sinker still
attached. It will spin around a twig and snag permanently. Always try to
drop the sinker to ground and remove it before retrieving the line. Tie a
permanent loop in the end of your line so you can slip it through the sinker
eye and around the sinker, creating a girth hitch that you can release
easily. You can add a snap swivel, but even this little weight will
encourage snagging as the free end falls back through tree limbs.

I haven't heard of the Spider line that was mentioned. Sounds like a great
product.

--...MARK_N1LO...--