Re: [TowerTalk] 22 ohms to 50 Ohms balun material

To: "Tower Talk List" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] 22 ohms to 50 Ohms balun material
From: "Jim Brown" <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2006 19:37:00 -0700
On Mon, 07 Aug 2006 18:19:19 -0500, Tom Anderson wrote:

>what type of ferrite material is needed to construct thisa type
>of balun?

For a balun of this type, what matters most is LOSS, not
permeability. I would use a Fair-Rite #61 material, which has the
lowest loss of any good material I know of. This is the material
commonly sold in the ham market as FT240-61. For high power, I would
use at least two of them, as is done in the TenTec 229 and 238
tuners. Done this way, you'll get more flux for the same number of
turns, and the heat will be divided between the two of them.

Jim Brown K9YC