Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Dissimilar Antennas

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Stacking Dissimilar Antennas
From: K4SAV <RadioIR@charter.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Aug 2006 23:14:42 -0500
Be careful when using HFTA to model stacks.  HFTA does not model antenna
interaction.  All rays are assumed to go outward from the antenna
between 0 and 34 degrees elevation.  No rays directed upward at the
other antenna are modeled. So HFTA will always give 3 dB gain for ANY
stacking distance. This is not the way it works in the real world. NEC
will show the correct amount of gain from the stack.

The big advantage of HFTA is that it can handle irregular terrains where
NEC cannot. Your ground can also affect the optimum stacking distance.
In other words, an optimum stack over flat ground is not necessarily an
optimum stack over sloping ground. You can use HFTA results up until you
get to the point where you start to loose gain because of a stacking
distance which is too close.  You can determine this distance using NEC.
If you do not have flat ground, using HFTA is to evaluate the stack is a
good plan, because in some cases the terrain can have a huge affect. If
you go closer than that stacking distance, calculated by NEC which
starts to decrease the gain, you can manually correct HFTA gain numbers.

Jerry, K4SAV