Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 thimbles and turnbuckles

To: <TexasRF@aol.com>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 thimbles and turnbuckles
From: "Dick Green WC1M" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 2006 22:38:07 -0400
Gerald,

Thanks for the clarification on the Big Grips. Very helpful. I'm happy to
stick with the Rohn/Radian spec.

The Rohn 3/8" heavy-duty thimbles I have don't appear to need the legs
spread to go through the turnbuckle eye. The opening is large enough. The
problem is that the legs are too thick. I can see that a little persuasion
with a hammer might make a leg go through the eye, but it doesn't look like
the thimble would move very easily once the leg goes through. I'm not even
sure it could be rotated to the right orientation (in line with the guy.)
Even if it could be twisted in the right direction, it wouldn't move freely
after that. Isn't it better for the thimble to be able to float freely
within the turnbuckle eye?

You recommend a 1/2" shackle, while Frank says a 3/8" shackle would be
ideal. Do you see any problem with using a 3/8" shackle for my terminations?

73, Dick WC1M