Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 thimbles and turnbuckles

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Rohn 55 thimbles and turnbuckles
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:52:40 -0400 (EDT)
Gerald provided excellent insight into the apparent disparity between the
guidance in Preformed Line Products (PLP) application notes (which specify 1/2
inch heavy duty (HD) thimbles for use with 1/4 inch guy wire) vs. Rohn's
drawings (which specify 3/8 inch HD thimbles for the same guy wire).

Reviewing the PLP application notes in further detail, they specify the
following  minimum seat diameters for some commonly used Big Grips:
    Big Grip Size     Minimum Seat Diameter
      1/4 inch            1 1/8 inch
      5/16                1 1/4
      3/8                 1 3/8

The seat diameter for some commonly used HD thimbles is:
    HD Thimble Size      HD Seat Diameter
      3/8 inch            1 1/8 inch
      7/16                1 1/4
      1/2                 1 1/2