Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower for 500lbs load help needed

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Homebrew Tower for 500lbs load help needed
From: "John Barrett" <ke5crp@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2006 02:19:18 -0600
My only real requirement is NO guy wires, and fairly easy access to the
turbine for maintenance. I would prefer to homebrew to reduce cash cost, I
tend to have a lotta time on my hands :)...

I'm basing my turbine design on information from
http://www.otherpower.com/20page1.html. They raised their 500 pounder 70
feet on 10" x 1/8" pipe with a tilt base, but they used guy wires

If a 12" x 1/2" pipe is sufficient for the wind loading without guy wires,
it would be easy enough to rig a carriage to lift the turbine, eliminating
the need for supporing the load when tilted. The turbine I'm installing is
smaller than the one described in that link. 10ft diameter instead of 20ft.
smaller generator, and a lighter axle system. Adding the carriage system
will probably bring it back up into the 500lb range, and I'll have to modify
the furling system to work with the larger diameter support.

just on an offhand search I can easily 12.75x0.56 or 8.75x0.9 as used or
surplus out of California (not having much luck finding sources for
used/surplus with online inventory/price here in North Texas).. if I dont
have to worry about supporting the load tilted over, would the 8.75x0.9 be
enough ?? (both weigh in at about 75lbs/ft.. putting the tower at 3750 lbs)