[TowerTalk] Ok - Crimp type coax - can you explain it or a web pagehow t

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Ok - Crimp type coax - can you explain it or a web pagehow to?
From: Peter Dougherty <w2irt@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 13:46:55 -0500
At 11:59 AM 11/07/2006, you wrote:

>Does it take special connectors  (I found the tools)

Yes, it takes crimpable connectors, not standard PL-259s. they're
about $1.50 to $1.75 apiece, cheaper in bigger lots. They are readily
available through numerous sources.

>Can you use standard PL-259s with a special tool

No. The crimp process requires the braid to be sandwiched between the
lightweight crimpable outer ring and the solid metal connector body.
The Web site referenced below will show you step by step.

>I did a web search but no pages popped up on how to ?

This is exactly the way I do mine now:
http://www.bcdxc.org/pl259_crimp_on_connectors.htm

No exaggeration, I can go from bare end to finished, perfectly-usable
connector in under one minute (a little longer to do the heat shrink,
of course).

>Enlighten me. Im intrigued in the no solder (especially in outdoor
>conditions we have here in the PNW).

Don't forget to weatherproof your outdoor ones the same way you'd do
with conventional solder-ons!!

Cheers,

Peter,
W2IRT