Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Soldering PL259s (Rob Atkinson, K5UJ)
From: Bill Turner <dezrat@copper.net>
Date: Tue, 07 Nov 2006 18:01:35 -0800
ORIGINAL MESSAGE:

On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 07:00:17 -0800, Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
 wrote:

>if you are making thousands of joints
>and are in the business of making joints (like building an airplane)....

I built airplane electronics for many years before retiring and I can
assure you soldered pins in connectors are ABSOLUTELY forbidden, at
least where I worked (a supplier to Boeing). Solder is notorious for
cracking due to metal fatigue. Solder should only be used in places
where the entire connection is held rigidly in place and vibration is
not an issue.

Bill, W6WRT