Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a Tower

To: "Dale Martin" <kg5u@hal-pc.org>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Plumbing a Tower
From: Jim Lux <jimlux@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2006 21:31:44 -0800
At 08:19 AM 11/28/2006, Dale Martin wrote:

>Has anyone tried a laser?  Seems like it would be easy to make up a laser
>target jig to place through the tower, then, on the ground, use a laser in
>the center of the tower and aligned to the vertical.  Anyone done that?

You can actually buy a laser with a level to do just this at the
local home improvement store.  The trick would be getting it truly
level.  A little bullseye level probably isn't good enough, but a
regular old vial might be.. Say you want it vertical to within 6" in
80 feet.  A run of the mill 3 foot carpenter's level I happen to have
here looks like it can level to about 1/8", maybe 1/16" in the 3
feet.  Scaling up, that's an inch in 24-48 ft, so the level vial in a
fairly inexpensive laser level should be good enough.

Sears sells one.. Craftsman 48293 reads angle to 0.1 degree, accurate
to 1/4" at 100 ft.
There's also the Black and Decker Crosshair 90 degree auto leveler
BDL400S - $40 from Amazon

You could also build one. Get a laser pointer and mount it with some
adjustment screws into a flat plate with a couple level vials on
it.  Stick three adjustment bolts through the plate with tapped holes
to serve as a triangular base. Level the plate, centered with a a
plumb bob hanging from your ceiling inside. Remove plumb bob and
install laser. Adjust the laser appropriately so it hits the plumb
bob attachment point.  It should be easy to align it within 1/8" over 8 feet.

  But you've got a great idea there...