Re: [TowerTalk] Locking a Turnbuckle...??

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Locking a Turnbuckle...??
From: "Donald Chester" <k4kyv@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 22:12:39 +0000

From: "Dan Zimmerman N3OX" <n3ox@n3ox.net>
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2006 22:52:06 -0500
Put a locknut on the locknut, and so on, all the way down to infinity.

Just one locknut on top of another locknut should be sufficient, if you tighten the two of them together as tight as you can, just short of stripping the threads. I have heard that arrangement called a "pal nut." I have used in automotive applications and others where there is vibration. It is also an effective method of applying torque to a threaded stud while avoiding damage to the threads by using something like a vise-grip or monkey wrench.

The best way to secure turnbuckles, however, is to simply loop ar cable or a heavy gauge wire through the turnbuckle frame, and back again through the eyelets at each end, in a figure 8 pattern, and secure the ends together with a clamp or by simply twisting them together. With that, there is no possible way the turnbuckle can work loose.

Don k4kyv

All-in-one security and maintenance for your PC.? Get a free 90-day trial! http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000002msn/direct/01/?href=http://clk.atdmt.com/MSN/go/msnnkwlo0050000001msn/direct/01/?href=http://www.windowsonecare.com/?sc_cid=msn_hotmail