Re: [TowerTalk] Cable ties, tape or both?

To: "'towertalk reflector'" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cable ties, tape or both?
From: "K8RI on TowerTalk" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Dec 2006 21:57:05 -0500

> So far as I know only Black cable ties can be UV resistant.

And not all of them.  I purchased some wide black ties that were supposed to
be UV resistant. In less than two years they were so brittle you could break
any of them with just a light pull.

> Julio, W4HY
>

> On Fri, 01 Dec 2006 13:38:22 -0500, Alan NV8A wrote:
>
>>As has been mentioned here before, cable ties tend to crush the cable
>>and electrical tape tends to come undone.

The only electrical tape I've had come undone was put on in very cold
weather. it was so cold I was having a problem getting the tape to stick to
itself. Even then it only had the ends flapping in the breeze and was still
holding. I did redo it when the weather warmed up.

I still use the old, "cheap" tape available at the big box stores and lots
of it. When I wrap cables I usually will use a minimum of five times around.
Often I end up with a band about 3" wide and several layers deep.  I carry a
box cutter up there to remove tape as trying to unwrap that much is a lost
cause and/or waste of time.

Some of it gets really sticky on a hot summer day and rigid in the cold
winter, but it still holds quite nicely.

N833R - World's oldest Debonair CD-2
www.rogerhalstead.com (Use return address from home page)