Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting 3/16" EHS...

To: towertalk@contesting.com, kg5u@hal-pc.org
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cutting 3/16" EHS...
From: K7LXC@aol.com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 17:14:21 EST

In a message dated 12/3/2006 6:54:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

>  Since I had never really cut EHS before (the tower came  with the house), I
checked the TT archives and saw references to metal  cutting grinding wheels
and bolt cutters.

>  I went  over to the local Lowe's this morning and cringed at the  grinding
wheels....just doesn't seem to be a safe or sane way to cut metal  to
me.....Are they really effective at cutting EHS?  How many cuts can  you make
off of one 7" wheel?

    A better option is to use a 4.5" hand-grinder. I  couldn't do any tower
work without one. Get the thinnest cutting blades and  they'll cut thru EHS in
a couple of seconds. Obviously all safety precautions  should be used.

    I used to use the 7" aggregate cutting blade on  my Skil saw but it was
pretty cumbersome. The little hand-grinder is the only  way to go!

Cheers,
Steve      K7LXC
TOWER TECH