Re: [TowerTalk] Commercial Comms Towers and Bird Strikes

To: <rdhinkle@sbcglobal.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Commercial Comms Towers and Bird Strikes
From: "AA6DX - Mark" <aa6dx@arrl.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 22:23:03 -0800
Well .. I think most of this dead bird thing is plain HOOOIE ..   I have
been working on and around towers since the 60s .. and have NEVER seen any
avian mortality rates as outlined here.  Even spotted owls are smarter than
that!
Perhaps the 8-land birds are different than the left coast breeds.  Of
course, dead critters are found now and then .. they all die SOMETIME, and
.. perhaps by hitting towers or wires.   Or... perhaps holding on to a steel
structure is where they prefer to meet their maker.  Have had them commit
suicide on our windows a few times .. but not many.
Let me iterate .. I have NEVER seen a preponderance of dead sparrows,
robins, hawks, gulls, egrets///etc/ around any west coast tower, commercial
nor Amateur Radio ... and never had any at all below my VA ( Washington DC )
tower on top of a hill.   I would suggest that ZZ perhaps found a bunch of
dead birds that ingested DDT or the likes, and rested on the "waaars" to
perish ... were autopsies performed? .. And .. why, oh why, do us here in
FAR Northern California NOT see this phenomena?  We have lots of towers, and
a gaggle of avians .. ???  Tell us why, oh biologist!
Mark Nelson  -  AA6DX
mailto: AA6DX@ARRL.NET