Re: [TowerTalk] New tower info request

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] New tower info request
From: <donovanf@starpower.net>
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2006 20:49:10 -0500 (EST)
Roger,

Congratulations on your planned new tower!

Use the guy wire specified in the Rohn drawings and tension it to 10% of
breaking strength.  If tension is less than approximately 8 percent, the guy
wire may gallop in the wind, increasing the stresses on your tower.  If you
tension it more than approximately 15 percent, you will reduce the rated load
of your tower.

I'm surprised you had corrosion problems after only 10 years.  Perhaps you live
in an industrial area.  Galvanized EHS cable should have a 20 year life in a
non-corrosive environment.   I do not recommend coating the wire, if the
coating traps any moisture it will reduce the life of the cable, and the
deterioration may not be visible to inspection.

73!
Frank
W3LPL