Re: [TowerTalk] re Hardline connectors

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] re Hardline connectors
From: Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Feb 2007 16:00:33 -0500
Hi Rob - it is really dead easy - I just wanted to give credit where due and
avoid some typing.

The plumbing fitting is a 1/2" copper tubing to 1/2" water pipe coupling (3/4"
ID, female pipe thread).  The Amphenol barrels have a snap ring in one end that
secures the internal parts.  Use a hacksaw to cut down to the snap ring and
remove it.  All the innards will fall out.  Silver solder the barrel shell into
the copper tubing end of the coupling, with the fixed (non-snap-ring end)
outward.

Drop one insulator back into the barrel, and temporarily reinsert the center
conductor of the barrel so that it is back in its original position.  Spread
the free end of it a little, so that it will go over the center conductor of
the hardline.  Trim the hardline shield and center conductor so that you can
thread the coupling onto the hardline shield until the barrel center conductor
is in the right place.  Solder the barrel center conductor onto the hardline
center conductor, and use some Noalox on the threads as you thread the coupling
on.

Does the word picture make sense?

73, Pete