Re: [TowerTalk] Two 15M stacking

To: stan@aqity.org, towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Two 15M stacking
From: TexasRF@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 09:29:43 EST

One added thought that will help reconcile K1TTT's experience with others  on
this subject:

>From K1TTT into Europe, say a 3500 mile path,  a 54 degree angle will  have a
3dB coverage of about 3200 miles in width. From this part of the world,  that
path would be about 1500 miles longer, encompassing about 4500 miles in
width.

Yes, I can see that more antenna movement will be needed from New England
for the same signal strength. Finally a factor that favors "the rest of  us"!

73,
Gerald K5GW

maybe In a message dated 2/24/2007 10:46:15 P.M. Central Standard Time,
k5go@cox.net writes:

W4ZV:

Check the results in my link above
versus other MMs  using much larger systems...I don't
think you will find their much larger  antennas
make a significant difference.

Obviously you have a good  antenna system on 10M but (the real compliment
follows, Bill) in my opinion  the VAST majority of the reason for your results
or
anyone else's results is  the operating ability as opposed to the
effectiveness of their antenna  system.

You originally said:

My 6 element KLM array has a 3 dB  beamwidth of about 54 degrees, which is
plenty for Europe.

There was  dispute from K1TTT, I think, who said that more than 4 or 5
elements was too  narrow from the East Coast for Europe.  My example was to add
food
for  thought regarding a higher gain antenna and just how many degrees off
you have  to be to have a weaker signal than with the original antenna.

In my example I said suppose you doubled the boomlength and achieved  another
3 dB which would narrow the beamwidth.  Doesn't matter it's a  little 4
element 15M Yagi on a 24 foot boom or what.  My point was, that  in order to
compare two antennas to know whether you could possibly lose  anything because
of
the narrow beamwidth, you would have to look at the 3 dB  beamwidth of the one
with X gain and then compare it to the 6 dB beamwidth of  one with X + 3 dB of
gain.  I have seen some compare the - 3 dB points  and say, for example, that
because the 3 dB beamwidth narrowed by 20 degrees  that it is too narrow not
realizing that they would still be nearly as strong  at the original beamwidth
with the additional gain of the larger  antenna.

I'll still take all the gain I can get pointed at  DL.

Stan,  K5GO

http://www.aol.com.