Re: [TowerTalk] Radials & dirt

To: "mryan001" <mryan001@tampabay.rr.com>,"Lee Buller" <k0wa@swbell.net>,"TowerTalk Reflector" <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Radials & dirt
From: "Orcena Lyle" <olyle@usfamily.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 19:00:36 -0600
I have a peculiar pattern of radials.  No specific pattern actually.  A small,
narrow, strangely-shaped yard so I just put radials where I can find room for
them.

I just added five radials which I had used for portable operating.  14g str.
insulated wires 60 feet long.  I had soldered the ends of the radials together,
along with a short tail (between two - three feet long) in a clump of solder.
I have attached the tail to a 6g solid wire which runs a little ways along the
back of the house between a section of radials near a vertical and a section of
radials near a long wire.

I like to put my radials just below the surface of the ground and figured that
the solder clump would be eaten if it was touching the earth.  I protected it
just like I would protect a coax connector above ground.  Scotch #23 fusion
tape covered with Scotch #33 good old electrical tape.  If this setup can keep
connectors clean and dry for 20+ years (as I've been told that it does by
people who have seen this happen), then there is a good chance it will keep out
dirt.

I'm convinced that earth (dirt) can eat up about anything (except vinyl tape I
hope - I will check it after a few years).  I had an old garage which had holes
in one wall due to dirt.  It looked like long-ago next-door neighbors had
filled in and leveled off their back yard where it had once sloped down to my
garage, putting the dirt against my garage wall.  Over the years, the dirt ate
through the stucco, the mesh, the tarpaper, and the wood, making some pretty
big holes in the wall, from which dirt washed into my garage and covered a good
part of the concrete floor.  So I'm careful what I put against dirt.

Someday I'll have a tower in the midst of where the radials come together, and
the radials will be ready and waiting.

73 de Orcy  WØQT