[TowerTalk] Radials

To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Radials
From: "Rob Atkinson, K5UJ" <k5uj@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:56:16 +0000
<<<Hello All, has anyone ever used old RG213 coax as radials.
If so what were the results ?>>>

213 will work I guess, but its diameter would make it harder to shove into a crack in the soil or if you left it on the surface, longer to disappear into the grass/ground cover. I'd do something else with the braid and use the center--maybe that's what you do. On the 213 I have used, it is possible to pull the center and dielectric out from the braid and jacket. The problem with the braid besides its size is that (assuming it stays jacketed) you have to expose some of it to attach it to your common contact point and outside, the performance of braid deteriorates with oxidation. Conductor size doesn't make much difference in performance until you get down to real small diameters. I use no. 14 for ruggedness; broadcast stations use no. 8 or no. 10 only because that size is needed to withstand the plowing in strain.
73,

rob / k5uj

It?s tax season, make sure to follow these few simple tips http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com/Taxes/PreparationTips/PreparationTips.aspx?icid=HMMartagline