Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?

To: TowerTalk@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Got a tower/antenna in a CC&R subdivision?
From: "Kelly Johnson" <n6kj.kelly@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:43:59 -0700
Because in many metropolitan areas (esp. in California) it is nearly
impossible (if not impossible) to find a home built in the last 20
years that is NOT covered by a CC&R or HOA.  Many of us have careers
that require us to live in a metropolitan area, rather than on 10
acres in the country.  Many of us also have children that we want to
have access to good schools.  Many of us also have spouses that really
like NEW houses.  Choosing a home without a CC&R/HOA requires some
serious compromises.  My wife would LOVE to live in a brand new home;
similar to the one her sister's family bought.  The only thing
preventing it is my ham radio obsession.  Fortunately, my wife is very
understanding and we now live in a nice, but modest 48 year old home.
Lots of hams are not so lucky to have such understanding wives.  Also,
believe it or not, around here the well established, nice, mature
neighborhoods (with no CC&Rs, no HOAs, and lots large enough to
support towers) are more expensive than the new cookie cutter homes on
postage stamp sized lots that are more affordable for younger home
buyers.

Let's face it.  It's just not easy to find an affordable home in a
nice suburb that meets all of your family's needs/wants AND allows for
ham antennas.  Some people take the "easy way out" and go for the
housing tract.  Unfortunately, if you're a ham with aspirations beyond
QRP and 2m HT operation you're likely to regret the decision later on.