Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding and grounding nightmare

To: "Peter Dougherty" <w2irt@comcast.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding and grounding nightmare
From: "Roger (K8RI)" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:13:39 -0400

> At 11:03 PM 06/17/2007, you wrote:
>
>>After reading the post I though he was talking about using the
>>graphite mold and measured shots.
>
> I was using one-shots.
>
>>If he is using "one shots" it's a given the molten charge is running
>>out, but the ceramic should be "banked" thouroughly in dry sand (all
>>the way around and underneath.) If the charge is burning off the
>>cable there are several possibilities in addition to not properly
>>banking the mold.  Wires too small or an over size mold holding to
>>large a charge. Also the wires must butt together tightly "on
>>top"  and in contact with the ground rod.
>
> I think that's what happened. The wire from the tower to the ground

It's something that happens easily and is sometimes a bit difficult to spot.

> rod probably wasn't mated correctly inside the ceramic mold. I'll
> sawzall it off and try again.

I have a pair of "cable cutters" that give a very nice cut, but don't show
well in those photos.

>>  The wire should be bare and solid, but coarse stranded will work.
>> The wire/cable should be of such size it just nicely fits through
>> the metal thimbles in the sides of the mold.
>
> I'm using AWG #4 solid wire and it fits the thimbles perfectly.
>
> I hasten to add, the reason for my writing the post in the first
> place wasn't so much that problems with Cadwelding (that was the
> icing on the cake), but in searching for someone who could do this
> project for me professionally. It's beyond my physical abilities

There have been several suggestions for people in your area. I hope you are
able to find some one.

> (trenching, laying 350' of wire, etc). I don't want to risk
> hospilalization for a grounding project. I'll leave the physical
> labour to those who are physically fit. At 350# and no tolerance for
> heat/humidity at all, this taxed my abilities far beyond what I was
> capable of.

I've always been active and done my own work (even at my age) up until
recently when nature provided a surprise. I find it really frustrating not
to be able to just go out and climb to tower even for the "little things"
let alone major antenna work. Presently my back and leg would prevent me
from installing the ground system or climbing, but "they" tell me this is a
temporary situation. I sure hope so!  As I tell others, I like to be waited
on, but not when I have to depend on others to get things done.

73

Roger (K8RI)