Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding and grounding nightmare

To: "'Roger (K8RI)'" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk@tm.net>,"'Gene Smar'" <ersmar@verizon.net>, "'K4SAV'" <RadioIR@charter.net>,<towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Cadwelding and grounding nightmare
From: "Dick Green" <wc1m@msn.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 08:32:40 -0400
Nice pics, Roger.

I've never packed my one-shots, but wish I had thought to do that. I've had
molten material run out of a couple of them. Then again, I've done a couple
of dozen of them without packing and didn't have any material run out. I
used 1/0 wire, which fits pretty tightly in the metal fittings, and found
that it's important to keep the mold level. Also, in most cases I didn't cut
the wire. Instead, I slipped the mold on at the free end of the wire and
slid it to the ground rod. That way, no worries about the wires being butted
together close enough.

However, with the old ceramic molds, sliding the mold sometimes causes one
or both of the metal fittings to work loose from the mold. Not a big deal,
the two fittings and mold can be slid along the wire as long as you're
careful not to damage the mold. It's much trickier with the newer styrofoam
molds. They're quite delicate and you have to be extra careful not to damage
them. I generally had to remove both metal fittings when sliding the mold.

Pictures of my recent adventures with one-shots are on my website at
www.wc1m.com. Click on "Ground System" in the bar at the left.

73, Dick WC1M