Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham antennas

To: "Jim Pruitt" <wa7duy@charter.net>, <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham antennas
From: "Van K7VS" <wa7fab@cdsnet.net>
Date: Mon, 9 Jul 2007 21:49:28 -0700
Nope, that wasn't typical for me.  My second Gotham was a two element quad
that worked just dandy and was working everything I could hear on twenty and
fifteen and ten as well.  I put it up in 1965. My neighbor and good friend,
Al, K7JMV (sk) and I had three element tri-band beams up running about the
same power and height.  We seemed to be mostly neck and neck on reports.  I
bought Gotham's 2 element quad, put it up and without exception outdid him
by many many db's when we frequently checked signals and received comparison
reports.

I must admit the vertical never worked very well for me.  I think it had an
overall length of twenty three or twenty seven feet if I remember correctly.

Living in Natick, Mass I was 14 in 1953 when I got my ticket.  I Used to
tune up my off center-fed windom using a four foot fluorescent tube taped to
the antenna wire between a couple of trees in the front yard.  I tuned for
max brightness.   That kept the neighborhood in stitches.  People would
drive by our house at night, slam on the brakes (I could usually hear the
brakes from my upstairs bedroom) and try and figure out what they were
seeing.  Maybe that's how UFO's got started.

Van, K7VS