Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham antennas

To: <towertalk@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Gotham antennas
From: "David Thompson" <thompson@mindspring.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 16:54:37 -0400
I was going to buy a Gotham beam in 1958 but my two Elmers W5KC and W5KHB
talked me out of it and instead I got the 3 element Gonset Tri-Bander on an
18 foot boom.  With this antenna on a 50 foot telephone pole
it worked great on 10 and 20.  W5KHB tried to make it work better on his
test range on 15 to no avail.

The Gonset was (in 1959) used by several top Contesters and Dxers.  They
advertised no traps or coils (used capacitors in line).  One W2 even
published an article about how to strengthen the beam and a W6 about how to
make it work better on 10 and 15.  I kept it up until 1966 when I and my dad
built the W5HVV/7 quad in a 1966 QST.

Dave K4JRB