Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwatertoseean

To: john@kk9a.com, TOWERTALK@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwatertoseeany benef
From: "Pat Barthelow" <aa6eg@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 17:05:45 -0700
>From the Team Vertical experience, on Jamaica,  things get REALLY
interesting if your verticals are literally on the wet, sandy beach, if you
have that luxury.

Another anecdote:   Type in:  Monterey Bay Aquarium in Google Maps, and get
a map of what the locals call "New Monterey" above (famous, John
Steinbeck's) Cannery Row.  Go look south a little bit, look for the corner
of Spencer and Hoffman.  (Hoffman  is perpendicular to Cannery Row)  That is
near where a friend, W6UQZ's modest QTH with an inverted L, and various
other apartment back yard wire antenna live.   John, a skilled operator on
CW, while mobile, uses a ham stick mobile installation to chase DX.
Numerous times, I have stopped by his house while he spots DX, either via
the internet, or live over the air on his backyard antennas, tries calling
them, and if unsuccessful, hops into  his car, and drives the mile or so  to
the Monterey Wharf to try some more to catch the DX.

John  called my attention to listen to the DX in the mobile while he  drove
the mile or so to the wharf.   All I can say is , WOW!   From barely
readable in the driveway, the DX signals invariably made a steady increase
in strength as we got closer and closer to the ocean.  To the point when
John was parked out on the wharf, with a clear view of the water by the
antenna, and perhaps 15 ft above the water surface,

http://adamschneider.net/photos/2000-09-sc/image/pb250386.jpg

a lot of  DX signals were PROFOUNDLY  loud.
The band positively crackled, quite diffrent from a duller atmosphere at his
home qth.

I was not looking at the meters, (and they aren't accurate in an objective
way, anyway, but the signals climbed from a weak driveway reference level to
a PROFOUNDLY louder, powerful signal level, almost every time.  Once parked
on the wharf, John's 100 watts to the hamstick while on the wharf,
invariably got the DX station in a very short time.

If you are ever in Monterey, with an HF mobile, try this, it is a real eye
opener, even to those who already know/believe that Salt water/salty
sand/soil helps..

Sincerely, Pat Barthelow     aa6eg@hotmail.com
http://www.jamesburgdish.org
Jamesburg Earth Station  Moon Bounce Team

http://www.cq-vhf.com
>From: <john@kk9a.com>
>To: <TOWERTALK@contesting.com>
>CC: jknodel@msn.com
>Subject: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwater
>toseeany benefit
>Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 21:06:49 -0400
>
>You are way too far away from the salt water to have enhanced radiation
>below the Pseudo Brewster angle.
>
>John KK9A
>

>To: Tower Forum <towertalk@contesting.com>
>Subject: [TowerTalk] How close does a vertical have to be to saltwater
>tosee
>any benefit?
>From: Jon M Knodel
>Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2007 15:11:54 -0700

Here is my question - Just how close does a vertical have to be to saltwater